Quilt reveal: Snowpocalypse
More snow than you would ever need, or could imagine.
– Urban Dictionary
This quilt’s original name was Winter Blues. I started it during a heat wave last summer. The idea was to trick myself into feeling cooler during a string of 90+ degree days. But as it grew, and grew, and grew some more … it demanded a new name.
You see, I hog the covers. My husband isn’t too thrilled about it. So I designed the quilt so the center would fit the top of our king sized mattress and then have a full 14 inch drop on all four sides. To give you a better idea of just how big this quilt is, here is Snowpocalypse by the numbers:
- 7 bobbins used during the quilting process
- 84 nine patch units
- 85 snowball units
- 424 inches of hand sewn binding
- 1,128, 2-inch squares in the border
I’m not a complete glutton for punishment. All of the nine patches and the border was made using strip piecing. I didn’t even use pins to put the border together thanks to some careful pressing so that saved hours of time.
I quilted it myself at Quilting By You, where I can rent time on a longarm machine. I used swirls in the pieced border, a kind of squiggle in the skinny border and a medium-sized meander in the center. Normally I prefer to use a variegated thread for quilting, but for this quilt I just wanted plain white.
I absolutely love everything about this quilt, from the drape over the edge of the bed, to the quilting in the border that reminds me of swirling snow, to not hearing my husband complain that I’ve stolen all the covers.
To see more pictures of this quilt, please visit Quilt Addicts Anonymous on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/QuiltAddictsAnonymous