Visiting the Barn Quilt Capital of Wisconsin + Hanging with Tara Curtis of WEFTY – Vlog
I managed to get away for a couple days with my family over the Fourth of July and we visited Shawano, Wisconsin, the Barn Quilt Capital of Wisconsin with nearly 350 barn quilts across the county.
I have been traveling to Shawano since I was a little girl because my family owns a home on the lake there. So I show you some of the barn quilts decorating the farms across the county. Plus I give you some of my recommendations of places to visit once you are there.
And just in case you have to have the recipe for the 15-minute raspberry pie I made, here it is:
- 1 premade pie crust (comes in pack of two)
- 28 oz fruit pie filling
- 2 quarts fresh fruit to match the pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Layer one pie crust across the bottom of a pie plate
- Fill pie plate with pie filling
- Top with fresh fruit until the entire pie top is filled with fruit
- Apply second pie crust using a lattice work design or as one whole piece with slits cut into the top for venting.
- Pinch the bottom and top crusts together at the edges of the pie plate to seal it.
- Put tin foil around the edges of the pie, covering the crust edges only.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove ti foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool and set in a refrigerator for one day before serving.
I have had Jim Leuenberger, the founder of the Shawano County Barn Quilt Project, on our podcast Sit & Sew Radio. You can listen and learn more about the barn quilts at this link: http://sitandsewradio.com/episodes/episode-6-shawano-county-barn-quilts-pods-by-maywood-studio-and-most-memorable-quilts/
I also visited with Tara Curtis, the creator of the WEFTY Needle, which is a fabulous tool that makes fabric weaving so much easier. Tara and I met when she was a guest on the podcast, you can listen to her episode here: http://sitandsewradio.com/episodes/episode-11-tara-curtis-and-judy-schwender/
Tara has taught at our quilt shop, Quilt Addicts Anonymous in Rock Island, IL, and we have talked about getting together when I drive back and forth to Shawano to see my parents, so we finally made it happen.
You can order the WEFTY Needle Needle and patterns on our online quilt shop. Click here: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product-category/patterns/designers/tara-j-curtis/
You get to see her creative space, and we talk about what she is working on now. Check out the WEFTY Needle YouTube Channel at this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Lky3Xd3ecJkiRfb0vjnZA
Watch more Quilt Addicts Anonymous vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-noqoeaGWzbGv08Q09fGWRO55J-REaz7