This summer is full of exciting news! I am the the designer of the August block for the National Quilt Museum Block of the Month Club!
I was so honored and excited to be chosen for the Museum’s first Block of the Month Club and I was really excited to try to figure out how to create a block that embodied a Van Gogh painting to be coordinated with The Van Gogh Cherrywood Challenge, on exhibit through August 8, 2018, at the Museum.
I chose to recreate a portion of Van Gogh’s famous Starry Night painting using fusible applique, which is my favorite applique method because it is fast and easy. I am calling it Up Close with the Stars because it is just a tiny portion of the entire painting.
In this video, I show you how to create blocks using fusible applique. I also go over windowing to make your blocks nice and flexible and give you a bonus as I show you how I quilted my block.
The National Quilt Museum’s Block of the Month Club is a free, interactive club designed by quilters, for quilters and helps to bring the love of quilting to new audiences across the world. You just have to join their Facebook group to get access to the new blocks each month. You can make all of them, or just one like me and use it as a mini quilt.
Through the Block of the Month Club, The National Quilt Museum aims to challenge quilters to experiment with new techniques and styles while having fun in the process! Styles will range from paper piecing, over-painting, embroidery, and much, much more!
- Up Close with the Stars FREE pattern: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NQMBlockoftheMonth/
- HeatnBond EZ Print Lite: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/heatnbond-ez-print-lite/
- The Van Gogh Bundle: http://cherrywoodfabrics.bigcartel.com/product/the-van-gogh-challenge
- The Lion King Bundle: http://cherrywoodfabrics.bigcartel.com/product/lion-king-challenge-2016
- Aurifil Threads 50wt #1135: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/aurifil-thread-50wt-1300m-1135/
- Aurifil Threads 50wt #2730: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/aurifil-thread-50wt-1300m-2730/
- Aurifil Thread 50wt #2783: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/aurifil-thread-50wt-1300m-2783/
- Aurifil Threads 50wt #2692: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/aurifil-thread-50wt-1300m-2692-2/
- Scrap batting
- Machinger’s Quilting Gloves: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/?term=&s=machingers&post_type=product&taxonomy=product_cat
- Free motion quilting foot: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/darners-foot-low-shank/