I have been working with fabric companies for a little over two years to design quilt patterns that bring their fabrics to life, but I still get excited every time I am asked to take a look at a new collection months before it will be shown to quilt shop owners and quilters.
So last winter when QT Fabrics asked me to take a look at Marlena, a new line that was being developed for their Ink & Arrow modern quilting fabric division. Of course I said yes and then started to think of ways to make it work in a quilt. Many of the Ink & Arrow lines don’t have a true neutral fabric, so I wanted to create something that showed off the beautiful designs and didn’t need a solid or neutral to make it work.
Trending Up is what came of that. It is a beginner-friendly pattern or a fast and easy project for more experienced quilters. The drama is created through fabric placement rather than complicated piecing. This no-neutral quilt works by using lighter value prints strategically to direct the eye across the waves created by the block layout.
I hope you enjoy this quilt as much as I did. We have a limited supply of kits available and the patterns are available as well. The pattern includes sizes for lap, twin, queen and king sized quilts. Watch the video above and scroll down for the supplies I used.
Supplies we used:
- Trending Up pattern: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/trending-up-2/
- Trending Up kit (Blue Colorway): https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/trending-up-quilt-kit-blue-colorway-available-for-pre-order/
- Trending Up kit (Yellow Colorway): https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/trending-up-quilt-kit-pink-version-available-for-pre-order/
- Flat Flower Pins: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/flat-flower-pins-pink-2/
- Fixion Gel Pen: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/frixion-gel-pen-pink/
- Cutting Mat Quilter’s Cut n’ Press: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/cutting-mat-quilters-cut-n-press-i-teal-11in-x-11in/
- Olfa Deluxe 45MM Ergo Rotary Cutter: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/deluxe-45mm-ergo-rotary-cutter/