I met Gailen Runge, the author of “Sew Emoji”, at Quilt Festival last fall and I instantly knew I had to make an emoji pillow with my daughter and that is just what we are doing in today’s video.
This project is a great one to make for or with your kids and grandkids to get them into sewing. Because who doesn’t want a rainbow poop emoji pillow?
In the tutorial we cover how to create fusible applique, how to do a stitch and flip method of applique using fusible interfacing and how to install an invisible zipper to turn your quilt block into a pillow.
I also give you some tips on how to prep your project to fit the skill level and attention span of your little one and give you some tips and tools that help make sewing safer so nobody gets burned with an iron or poked with a needle.
My daughter had a great time choosing her favorite emojis and fabrics to go in them. And even though she wasn’t involved in every section of the construction, we had a great time working on her pillows together. So it’s a great memory, bonding moment, and helps pass the love of sewing onto the next generation.
Gailen has thought of just about everything in this book. There is no end to the emoji combinations you can create with the dozens of eye, nose and mouth facial features that are all sketched out at full size, ready for you to trace and applique. And yes, there’s a template for a poop emoji and many other of your favorites.
I hope you all give this project a go and if you do, we’ve got everything you need to make it below:
Supplies we used:
- Sew Emoji by Gailen Runge from C & T Publishing: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/sew-emoji-4/
- HeatnBond Ultrahold 17″ x 1yd: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/heatnbond-ultrahold-17-x-1yd/
- White Woven Fusible 45″: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/white-woven-fusible-45-x-25-yards/
- Olfa 45mm Pinking Rotary Blade: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/olfa-45mm-pinking-rotary-blade/
- Frixion Gel Pen: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product-tag/frixion/
- Pillow form: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/pillow-insert/
- Zipper: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product-category/notions/zippers/
- Seam Roller (optional): https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product/violet-craft-seam-roller-vc-014-violet-craft1-3/
- June Tailor Cut ‘n Press: https://shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com/product-tag/june-tailor-cut-n-press/
- Scrap fabric for the Emojis features
- 1/2 yard for the pillow front and back
- 1/2 yard for the lining (optional)
- Scrap batting (optional)
- Sewing machine